Saturday, October 8, 2011

A story for you...

Once upon a time in the land of South Portland, Maine... our frequent babysitter was our nextdoor neighbor, Beth. She was about 5 years older than me and my hand-me-down queen until I got old enough that her slender build and my not-so-slender build no longer coincided.

It had been awhile since she'd babysat. Olivia, the "backyard" neighbor, who was a little younger than Beth, thus probably less busy, babysat us more often (I wonder if her turning on the wrong burner and ruining an antique kettle made Beth come back...). One day, Beth returned.

We were in the basement- our haven and playroom/family room, playing with Barbies- mine and Caitlin's favorite pastime. (and holy cow did we have the mother lode of Barbie stuff. Got rid of a bunch when we moved. SO wish that hadn't happened! My mom shoulda saved it all for grandkids! We're down to one measley [sp?] box!) There happened to be some little (but too big for a Barbie) underwear sort of thing from some other doll in the box of clothes.

Beth was having great fun (or at least we were) entertaining us with her Barbie playing. She puts those oversized underwear over some Barbie clothes and her Barbie says something like "don't you know it's totally fashionable to wear your underwear outside your clothes?"

Caitlin and I have never forgotten that. Once when we were roommates in college she came out of her room with underwear over her jeans and said that and I about died laughing. (I even have pictures somewhere!)

SO... Wednesday morning I was emerging from the basement cave we frequently dwell in to come upstairs where it was a bit cold. That's also where Addison's swing is. She LOVES her swing. So I needed to dress her warmly. Thus the adorable Maine sweatshirt. And pants with built in feet. I was afraid her pants would fall off, so I put a diaper cover panties thing over them. I told her she looked goofy, gave her a kiss, and headed upstairs. Here she is in all her glory- awesomely blurry shot from my phone. (my real camera's flash died. We're in photo limbo.)


I'm in the middle of doing dishes or something in the kitchen when I hear Maya coming up the stairs and says "I'm goofy!"

I turn and see she's wearing this:

So I had to take a picture to send to Caitlin and remind her it's quite fashionable to wear your underwear outside your clothes. (though they're actually an oversized diaper cover from an old dress)

If you don't find this hilarious, that's okay. It's a had-to-be-there type thing. Caitlin wondered via text if Beth even remembers that. Maybe not. That's ok. It's a fond memory and joke for Cait and I, and Maya made it so worthwhile. She is a hoot.

3 comments:

  1. Best story ever! I'm glad you shared, even if no one else enjoys it but me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious! Of course I found it funny. ;) Lol, thanks bunches! Love ya Shanny Bananny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture of Maya being "goofy." She's so cute!

    ReplyDelete